Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Swimming around Key West...

Hey Y'all,

It has been awhile since I updated my blog. My last update was looking for some ideas of a charity to raise money for in my "big race" this year which is my 12.5 mile swim around Key West.

I didn't get too much input... But the input I typically got was "do it for a charity that has particular significance and meaning to you". The other ideas I got where to raise money for Michael J. Fox's Parkinson Foundation, under-privileged children, and wounded warriors. These are all great causes, and I will live up to my promise and do events to raise money for these charities in the future. However, this year, I've been touched by a remarkable lady whom I've yet to meet. Joan Wilson.

My solo swim around Key West requires me to have a support kayak. Originally my friend Jen was going to be my kayaker but got pulled away by the National Guard. Thankfully I had plenty of notice, and Jonathan stepped up to the plate and volunteered to be my kayaker on the journey. Some of y'all have met Jonathan, and some of y'all will have the pleasure as time goes on. He's always willing to help and just a great person.

So... Joan Wilson is Jonathan's mom, we're friends on Facebook, and I'll meet her for the first time next month. Joan has MS. Her updates on Facebook last week have been about an upcoming visit to the doctor, and then receiving news that wasn't the best.

I've not met her, but just from the few emails we've shared and the stories I hear from Jonathan, she sounds like an amazing woman. I felt like I wanted to do something, and have been sending prayers and holding good thoughts, and then well prepping for my run yesterday... I decided this was who I'd do my swim for.

When I finished my run, I got onto Charity Navigator and started looking for Multiple Sclerosis charities. I found a few different ones, and settled on the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America. I chose this charity for it's rating with the Better Business Bureau as well as it's option for creating an online donation page, as well as its "Swim for MS" challenge. All these pieces seemed to fit what I was looking for.

I've been training. I'm up to 5 miles in the pool, this month will I'm hoping to get up to 7, then 9 in April, 11 in May, and then the swim in June 4th. Jonathan is going to be out in a kayak getting ready for his part as well.

If you could support my swim, say a prayer for Joan, and if you can make a donation... I would be forever grateful. I understand times are hard, and money is tight, any amount is welcome, and if you can't give... Say a prayer for Joan, and wish me luck on the swim.

Here's the link to my page (click here).

Thanks y'all. You guys helped me raise over $2500 for wounded warriors when I did Marine Corps Marathon last year. I'm setting my sights higher this year and made the initial donation to get the ball rolling.

~Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment